Discover the secret world of plants!
With fun and interactive exhibits in five thematic zones, Plantastic! reveals the dynamic life of plants and their interaction with people, animals, insects and each other. The exhibition is aimed at 7 to 14-year-olds and their families, with countless activities to entertain young and old alike.
Enter a magical realm with giant leafy canopies, massive seed pods, huge root systems and strange man-made trees. Forty fascinating interactive exhibits and games, help to uncover the secrets of this amazing world. You can also relax and be inspired by nature or find out more about topical issues such as biodiversity and climate change.
Highlights from Plantastic!
- Moving features super seeds, edible fruit and exploding seeds. Visitors can blow on a huge dandelion and watch the seeds fly away. A four-foot high pile of real-looking dung illustrates how seeds are dispersed by animals. Visitors can speed up or slow down a film of a squirting cucumber as it bursts and spits out seeds.
- Feeding has a scary giant Venus flytrap that lives off insects that land in its jaws. Visitors crawl through a tunnel underneath a tree – they meet underground creatures, a mole and a rabbit. Leaves and flowers move with the sun and a multi-media game allows children to try their hands at caring for plants. The process of photosynthesis is explained – how plants absorb carbon dioxide and release oxygen.
- Reproducing looks at pollinators such as bees and how pollen can be carried away on the wind. Visitors have an insect’s eye view of flowers, see pollen grains on a massive scale or test their powers of smell.
- Surviving shows how plants have evolved and adapted. Visitors play a multimedia game to select their defences against some predators. They feed a character with wild fruits and plants to see which are tasty and which are to be avoided. Food chains are illustrated to show the subtle balance of nature. Amazing fossil prehistoric plants are seen from hundreds of millions of years ago.
- Providing focuses on how people use plants to eat and survive. There’s an exciting quiz based on a food store. Trees become instruments in an enchanted musical forest. Visitors play a pinball machine to collect wild fruits. We meet plant ancestors and see how they lived – and also learn how to reduce our carbon footprints.
Plantastic! is a co-production of National Museums Liverpool (United Kingdom), Museon (the Netherlands) and Technopolis, the Flemish science centre (Belgium).
Plantastic! was exhibited in:
- National Museums Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom, February 2010 - September 2010
- Technopolis, Mechelen, Belgium, October 2010 - August 2011
- Museon, The Hague, the Netherlands, October 2011 - August 2012
- Le Vaisseau, Strasbourg, France, October 2012 - September 2013
- The Scientific Center, Kuwait, December 2013 - July 2014
- Horniman Museum, London, United Kingdom, February 2015 - November 2015